Yes....it's almost sew along time again! This time, Ellen has chose the Uptown Girl! While the Uptown Girl pattern focusses mainly on making the bag using Pleather, (Faux Leather, Vinyl or even real Leather included) the bag makes up beautifully in fabrics too! So do feel free to chose your favourite fabrics or why not be brave and give the Pleather a whirl!
- Exterior fabric: 45 cm (½ yard) of 112cm (44”) wide fabric
- Piece of contrast fabric: 71cm X 30cm (28”X 12”) (optional)
- Lining fabric: 110cm (43”) of 112cm (44”) wide fabric
- Fusible interfacing: mid-weight, 40cm (16”) of 112cm (44”) wide interfacing (the narrower Pellon Shape-Flex SF101 is a good choice, but you will need about 1 yard if you go that route)
- ByAnnie’s Soft & Stable: 46cm X 91cm (18” X 36”) (or substitute with Headliner Foam; you can also use fusible fleece, however, you will end up with a bag that is more floppy)
- Matching thread (I use Nylon Upholstery thread for pleather and Gutermann Polyester for quilting cotton)
- 1 X 36cm (14”) zipper or longer, cut to size for your recessed zipper
- 1 X 28cm (11”) zipper for the inner Divider Pocket (or longer cut to size)
- 2 X readymade adjustable straps: I used 15mm (⅝”) wide, adjustable from 39cm to 55cm (15⅜”to 21⅝’”) (Or you can make your own if you prefer!)
- 4 X metal round or oval shaped eyelets: minimum inner diameter measurements – 15mm (⅝”) or to suit your straps
- 4 X 12mm (½”) purse feet
- OPTIONAL: 2 X 30.5cm (12”) cable ties (recommended for stabilising your zipper divider pocket) or you can use boning too!
- OPTIONAL: 2 rolls 6mm (¼”) Wash Away Wonder Tape
- OPTIONAL: 6mm (¼”) Cold Tape (see notes)
- OPTIONAL : (if using quilting cotton for exterior) additional fusible interfacing: mid-weight, 40cm (16”) of 112cm (44”) wide interfacing (Pellon Shape-Flex SF101 is a good choice but you will need about 1 yard in that case)
- Small amount of craft glue for setting eyelets
- Small amount of Fray Stopper if using quilting cottons instead of pleather
Here's a sneak peak at Ellen's fabrics:
Here's a pic of Marilyn's Uptown Girl in Pleather:
And here's Camila's version in a pleather and fabric combo:
And here we have Daryl's all fabric version:
So by now you can see how versatile the pattern is! PLUS it has a super interior which includes instructions on how to make a zipper divider pocket! These pockets are SO handy but often they are slouchy and annoying. This pattern will teach you how to make them sit up nicely! ;) Here's Marilyn's Interior:
The sew along starts here on the blog and in our Facebook group, on the 7th March. Running until the 29th March....but of course, the blog steps will remain up so you can take longer if you need to!
We hope you will join us! :)
If you don't have it already, you can grab the pattern for the Uptown Girl HERE!